Where Did It All Go Wrong

 


It's easy to write a blog when things are going well. Last season was a breeze, everyone was happy, the team were playing free-flowing football (at times) and despite what was going on in the world we had our own little microcosm of joy.

It's not so easy to write a blog when things are not going well. I don't want to write one straight after a negative because I'm an emotional person, I wear my heart on my sleeve, and if I was to come on straight after a defeat, especially in the Old Firm, I'm likely to go too heavy on the criticism. It's also hard to get the motivation to write one as, I'm sure like many of you, how Rangers are doing affects my mood and motivation levels.

After watching the game on Thursday though I'm not sure I can see where things are going to get better this season. Yes, we're only 1-0 down, and to a limited side, so it's certainly not insurmountable by any stretch of the imagination. However, if you dial back 3 weeks I was seriously contemplating booking flights and a hotel for Seville, so strong was my belief we'd make the final. Now I can see us making the Semi-Final, a massive achievement in its own right by the way so let's not utterly dismiss that, but I can't see us winning that and I'm struggling to see what we change in the Scottish Cup Semi-Final also.

I almost always predict us to win any match, I can't help it, I have blind confidence and trust, however, this team has worn even me down this season. I am struggling to see any positives in the squad at all.

For 5 minutes last Sunday it looked like we were going to smash that lot. We pressed, we controlled the tempo and we looked dangerous. I genuinely thought we could be looking at a 4 or 5 nil win... Then McGregor makes a mess of a weak shot, the defence fails to do the basics and it's 1-1. At that point the squad, almost to a man, lost their backbone and never looked like causing them any danger for the rest of the game.

A second goal before halftime for that lot meant they were happy to let us have a large portion of the possession because there was no fear we were really going to do anything with it.

It's baffling why our game plan changed. It's baffling why a defense that was so strong last season is now utterly hopeless. It's also baffling trying to work out what Gio's tactics are in games now, or his substitutions. If he's not completely ignoring the fact players are burnt out and making no subs then he's ignoring players having awful performances and instead opting to bring off the players doing well.

Gio

I was a massive advocate for Gio back when the hunt was on for a new manager. I gave him lots of praise for the start of his run. I defended him when things took a turn, but even I'm starting to reconsider if he's the man to take us forward next season. 

I'm not seeing anything since Christmas, bar the Dortmund games, that gives me confidence he's the man. And we all know this team turns up for big European games so I'm entirely sure we can credit him for Dortmund.

One thing I did say to my friends when he was appointed but said I was too scared to say publically is "My only concern is we're going to be relying on a guy who chucked it when it got hard to motivate a group of players notorious for chucking it when it gets hard".

That's one time I wish I wasn't right, and if we lose in the Scottish Cup semi-final I can't see Gio being here next season.

I'm certainly not saying Gio is completely to blame here though. This group of players have shown now 3 out of 4 seasons that they have no winners mentality and no stomach for a fight. Last season was an abnormality on their CV as things stand right now.

The players

I don't want to levy too much criticism Allan McGregor's way as he's been a fantastic servant for the club, and in my eyes rightfully belongs as the club's greatest ever keeper now, but I wish he'd retired at the end of last season so he could go out on a high.

Unfortunately what we've seen, and what will go down as his final season I'm sure, is an error-strewn season where he alone has cost us multiple points. Many fans got annoyed at Gerrard's habit of rotating the goalies, but I think we understand that a bit better now having seen McGregor make so many mistakes. It saddens me that that is how his final season will be seen, but as Harvey Dent said "You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain".

As with Gio though McGregor is not solely to blame, he's had awful defending in front of him this season. Goldson has been a shadow of what he was last season, despite what he or the club say his contract situation has been allowed to become a massive distraction to not only him but the fans too. Balogun was never meant to be a week in week out started, but unfortunately due to Helander's injury problems and our inability to recruit competent backup he's playing more than we probably would have liked. Bassey has had good games and poor games, he's young, that will happen, but again he's playing more than we probably expected because we have a Croatian left-back who lacks courage and who has taken to hiding whenever he has played.

I'm going to give most of the midfield a pass, however Aribo needs to come out of the team for a bit. He was on track to be the player of the year at the start of the season, but since he's come back from AFCON I struggle to see how he even warrants a place in the matchday squad. 

Morelos has been brilliant under Gio, one really shining light... so of course, he got injured and is out for the season. None of our other forwards have contributed anything of late. I was very excited to have Roy Makaay come in as an attacking coach, but at the moment I'm struggling to see what exactly he's coaching them. 

"Big Game" player Kemar Roofe was supposed to step into Alfie's shoes on Sunday, but that's not the type of player he is and not a role he's suited for, but even taking that into account he brought absolutely nothing to the game. The most movement and desire I saw out of him on Sunday was when he passed me on the motorway after the game on his way home. Another big game that completely passed him by.

Ross Wilson

One person who needs to take his share of the blame is Ross Wilson. What exactly has he contributed to the club that has been a positive? His failings with signings have far outweighed his success. He's allowed us into a frightening position where TEN players you could argue are first-teamers are out of contract within the next year.

That is gross negligence. The club may say they're not concerned, but they should be. Do you think Ryan Kent, or Alfredo Morelos, are looking at the current state of the club and thinking "yeah I'll sign another contract" or are you thinking "I could get more money to move on now as my contract is coming to an end"?

Heading into the January transfer window it was clear we needed a couple of players in to freshen things up, to really challenge the first-teamers, and show a bit of drive. What we got were loan players to pack the squad, who don't look like they should be starting over any of the others. 

Ramsey is the obvious exception to that, he is a genuinely world-class player and if he had helped us win the league then this is a completely different scenario. Unfortunately though due to bizarre management of him and circumstances the only real meaningful contribution has been the game against Annan.

Yes, he sparked the comeback against Dundee, though that shouldn't be needed, but it was all for naught. On Sunday you could see he was so far ahead of his teammates that he was making passes or runs that they simply were not good enough to acknowledge. It was very much Ronald De Boer syndrome from when he first arrived and had to dumb down his game. 

If we don't win in the Semi-Final and he doesn't contribute to that then it was a complete waste of £2m. Even if we do win, it's still an expensive loan for not a great deal in return. And that pains me to say as I've never been so excited to have a player sign for us.

The Board

There's not much more to write about the board that hasn't already been said. They took a gamble that the current squad would be good enough to retain the title on the back of last season, they had to tighten the belt, and it hasn't paid off. It's handed our rivals another title, at minimum a double, potentially their fifth treble in 6 years.

They booked an ill-advised friendly tournament in Australia with our rivals. They pulled out. They then force-fed the Old Firm branding down our throats last Sunday only to see us surrender the title in that game.

They need to be having some uncomfortable conversations within the boardroom between now and the start of next season because we need to see this corrected sooner rather than later, and if that involves a clean sweep and complete rebuild from the DoF position right the way down then so be it because this season has been nowhere near good enough.

On a more positive note though we are still in this Europa League Quarter-Final, and who knows, win that, win the Semi-Final at Hampden and things could take a massive upturn for the end of the season. It's difficult to see it now, but I'm trying not to give up all hope yet and hopefully us, the fans, can go to Ibrox on Thursday and Hampden next Sunday and inspire the squad to put in the required effort.

The Rambling Ger

Twitter - @GerRambling

IG - TheRamblingGer

P.S for any podcast listeners, I have a new podcast coming to The 4th Official network next week. It's not Rangers-themed, but more global, and aims to bring a bit of current football with some nostalgia. I hope you guys can listen, and you'll need to forgive my first few attempts at hosting. Much like writing it's not natural to me so will take some time to get the flow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red, White & Blue Order

No one likes us, we don't care

Who's Next?!